Rich Japanese Curry Katsudon
This rich savoury dish with a bit of crunch is fast becoming a comfort food favourite! Golden fried pork on a bed of rice with delicious Japanese curry sauce. It’s easy, it’s quick, it’s delicious, and if you haven't tried it - the time has come...
What you’ll need
- 2 SunPork Loin Steaks
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 cups white jasmine rice
- Vegetable Oil
- 1 large brown onion, sliced
- 46g Mild Japanese Curry Mix
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- Spring onion, sliced to serve
How to make it
- Carefully cut the pork scotch fillet in half to make them thin.
- Season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper. Lightly coat the steaks with flour, then dip into the egg and into the panko crumbs in the other bowl. Gently press the crumbs in to help it stick. Dip it back into the egg and panko bread crumbs a second time to create a thick crumbed layer.
- Cook rice according packet instructions. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Use a deep fry-pan and pour enough oil in so it’s 2-3 cm deep over med-high heat.
- Place the crumbed pork cutlet into the pan and cook for 5-6 mins each side or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack once done to drain excess oil.
- In a saucepan on med heat, cook the onion until brown then add curry mix, chicken stock and soy sauce. Mix until smooth. Reduce heat to low and simmer until it reaches desired consistency.
- Slice the cutlet into small pieces.
- Serve by placing 1 crumbed pork on a bed of rice, followed by curry sauce over the top and garnished with spring onions.