Bacon & Fennel Meatloaf with Fig & Onion Relish
How good does Bacon & Fennel Meatloaf with Fig & Onion Relish sound? Put some time into this masterpiece and cook it this weekend - you won't regret it!
What you’ll need
- 500g SunPork Mince
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 cups sourdough breadcrumbs
- 1 fennel bulb, grated
- 1 green apple, grated
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 Tbsp. sage, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 tsp. cumin
- Roasted Fennel wedges, to serve
- Fig & Onion Relish
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- Salt and Pepper, to season
- 4 cups figs, chopped
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tsp. Crushed Fennel Seeds
How to make it
- To make the Fig & Onion Relish, heat oil and butter over med. heat in a heavy based pot. Add the onions.
- Slowly cook the onions for 1 hr, stirring often until they are deep and golden in colour.
- Add the figs, honey, sugar and fennel. Bring to the boil.
- Season with salt and pepper, reduce the heat to low and cook for approximately 30 mins or until thick and jam like.
- Add half the vinegar and mix well. Taste and add more if needed.
- Cool and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Grease and line a loaf pan with baking paper. Layer bacon slices along the base and sides of the pan.
- Combine the pork mince, breadcrumbs, fennel, apple, egg, sage, allspice and cumin in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared pan and place in oven for 1 hr or until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 mins.
- Remove meatloaf from pan and face it bacon side up onto a baking tray. Brush with Fig & onion jam then place back into the oven for 10 mins.
- Remove from oven and serve with roasted fennel and more jam.