Homemade Mini Pork Pies
There's something special about homemade pies, and these simple and tasty mini pork pies make a fantastic snack or lunch box treat!
2 hours 30 minutes
What you’ll need
- 475g SunPork Fresh Foods Pork Tenderloin
- 125g streaky bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. sage, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3 tsp. mustard powder
- 3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 375g plain flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 100g lard, cut into small pieces
- 40g butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
How to make it
- Preheat fan-forced oven to 200°C
- Roughly chop the pork fillet and put half into a food processor. Pulse briefly until it looks like coarsely minced meat.
- Combine chopped and minced pork, bacon, onion, sage, parsley, nutmeg, mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper in to a bowl, cover and chill until ready to use.
- In a small saucepan over med. heat, add lard and butter and 150ml water to melt, then increase the temperature until the mixture begins to boil.
- In a heatproof bowl, add flour and pour in the hot butter mixture, stir with a wooden spoon and mix to form a soft dough. Allow to cool for 2 mins.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 mins. (TIP: Don’t leave too long as the pastry will harden over time and become difficult to handle)
- Roll out dough on a floured surface and cut out six of each 14cm and 8cm circles.
- Grease a 6-hole muffin tray with butter and line each mould with pastry, pressing against the walls of the tray.
- Spoon meat evenly into each pie base, brush pastry edges with egg, add pastry top and seal by pinching the dough together between your fingers.
- Brush pastry tops with egg and piece centre with a skewer to create a steam vent for cooking.
- Bake in over for 40 mins until pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and rest for 30 mins, run knife around outside edge to loosen and remove from tray.
- Serve with your favourite sauce and enjoy!