Ham and Cheese Hand Pies
Whip up a batch of these tasty ham and cheese hand pies. Use up your leftover ham and veggies in this quick and easy recipe - yum!
What you’ll need
- 4 slices SunPork Leg ham, thick cut
- 100g Mozzarella cheese, cut into 1cm cubes
- 150g Potato, cut into 1cm cubes, boiled
- 150g carrot, cut into 1cm cubes, boiled
- 3 Tbsp. chives, finely chopped
- 6 sheets puff pasty
- 1 egg, beaten
- 30g unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 chicken stock cube
- 500ml milk
- nutmeg, ground, to taste
How to make it
- Pre-heat fan forced oven to 200°C.
- Melt the butter in a large fry-pan over med. heat.
- Add the flour and stock cube (if using) and cook the paste for about 5 mins or until melted.
- Slowly whisk in the milk.
- Simmer gently until the sauce thickens to the consistency of double cream.
- Remove fry-pan from heat, add ground nutmeg and leave in a place to cool (Note; upon cooling the sauce will thicken.)
- Place the cheese, meat, vegetables and chives into a large bowl.
- Mix in the cooled Béchamel sauce.
- Using a small plate or bowl, cut out 12 – 16cm rounds from the puff pastry.
- Spoon the filling onto one side of the pasty, fold over and use a fork to seal the edges.
- Brush with the beaten egg and bake for 30 mins or until golden.