Great Oma's Pea and Ham Soup
This traditional warming soup is a must try this winter & a dish the whole family will love! Give Great Oma's Pea and Ham Soup a crack for dinner tonight.
2 hours 40 mins
What you’ll need
- 500g SunPork Smoked Bones
- 250g split peas
- 2 onions
- ½ stick celery, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, grated
- 1 rookworst (smoked sausage), thinly sliced
- Crusty bread, to serve
How to make it
- Soak split peas for 3 hrs minimum (ideally overnight).
- Heat large saucepan over med heat and add bones, onion, and celery. Cook until onion is tender.
- Add split peas and 4 cups of water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 2 hrs.
- Add grated potatoes and simmer for ½ hr.
- Remove bones from soup and remove meat from each bone. Set aside.
- Using a stick blender, blitz the soup mixture until smooth. Return meat from bones to the soup.
- In a small fry pan over high heat, cook rookworst until crispy. Add rookworst to the soup 20 mins before serving.
- Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!