What you’ll need
- 1kg SunPork Pork Leg, cubed
- 1/2 tsp. Szechuan peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp. Chinese five spice
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. minced ginger
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 3 star anise
- 500ml chicken stock
- 4 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 6 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- Sesame seed oil
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- Steamed white rice, to serve
How to make it
- In a pan, dry roast the Szechuan peppercorns until fragrant. Cool slightly
then grind in a grinder.
- Place the pork in a bowl, add the ground peppercorns, Chinese five spice
powder and salt then mix well.
- Heat oil in a wok or pan. Fry the pork until lightly browned then add the
ginger, chilli and star anise.
- Continue cooking until the pork becomes deeper in colour, then pour in the
stock and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 35 mins, or until the pork is
tender and most of the liquid has reduced. You will need about 1/4 cup of the liquid in the pan to make the sticky sauce.
- Scoop out the pork and transfer to a bowl, keep warm.
- Add the soy sauce, honey and rice vinegar to the remaining liquid in the
pan. Cook over high heat until reduced, thick and sticky. Keep an eye on the sauce as there is a very fine line between sticky and burnt!
- Turn off the heat and add the pork to the sauce, drizzle with sesame oil
then toss to ensure every piece is covered.
- Serve topped with toasted sesame seeds and spring